Taking charge of your well-being
Taking charge of your health and well-being may include these suggestions:
- Keep an ongoing list of resources that contribute to your well-being (people, print and on-line).
- Develop a plan for how and when to use these resources.
Advocate for yourself
- Learn what contributes and what takes away from your well-being.
- Consider how to increase things that contribute to your well-being.
- Consider how to decrease the things that take away from your well-being.
Examine your relationships with family and friends
- Assess what is working, what is not working, what helps, what does not help.
- Talk to those who are close to you to help them understand what they may be able to do to help you.
- Develop a plan for how to reach out when necessary.
Examine your lifestyle
- Look at how you are living your life: diet and nutrition, sleep and rest, exercise, creative activities, social activities.
- Consider what helps you to improve your energy, confidence, self-esteem, coping skills, and sense of inclusion while maintaining your well-being.
Create a plan
- Set goals and benchmarks
- Monitor progress
- Revise the plan as needed
- Don't get discouraged
- Celebrate small achievements