Civility and respect are in a work environment where employees are respectful and considerate in their interactions with one another, as well as with customers, clients and the public.
These statements make up the civility and respect factor in Guarding Minds at Work:
- People treat each other with respect and consideration in our workplace.
- Our workplace effectively handles conflict among employees.
- People from all backgrounds are treated fairly in our workplace.
- Unnecessary conflict is kept to a minimum in our workplace.
- My workplace has effective ways of addressing inappropriate behaviour by customers or clients.
- People at work show sincere respect for others’ ideas, values and beliefs.
Engage your entire team in reviewing the factors that impact psychological health and safety in your workplace. This approach is recommended by the National Standard of Canada on Psychological Health and Safety in the Workplace. By doing this, you build awareness of the responsibility of each employee to contribute to a positive workplace culture. You also get their involvement in developing and being part of the solution.
Download this facilitator guide to help you lead a team discussion about addressing civility and respect.
Download the presentation slides to guide a group discussion to better understand how civility and respect impacts your team. Then, collaborate on an action plan to promote and protect this in your workplace.
You can share the handout digitally or download and print them.
Each of the psychosocial factors identified in Guarding Minds at Work and the National Standard on Psychological Health and Safety in the Workplace have similar resources that can be found here.