Growth and development are in a work environment where employees receive encouragement and support in the development of their interpersonal, emotional and job skills.
These statements make up the growth and development factor in Guarding Minds at Work:
- I receive feedback at work that helps me grow and develop.
- My supervisor provides helpful feedback on my performance.
- My supervisor is open to my ideas for taking on new opportunities in the workplace.
- I have the opportunity to take on new challenges.
- My employer values employees' ongoing growth and development.
- I am given adequate time at work to participate in training.
- I am provided with the necessary training to perform well in my job.
Engage your entire team in reviewing the factors that impact psychological health and safety in your workplace. This approach is recommended by the National Standard of Canada on Psychological Health and Safety in the Workplace. By doing this, you build awareness of the responsibility of each employee to contribute to a positive workplace culture. You also get their involvement in developing and being part of the solution.
Download this facilitator guide to help you lead a team discussion about addressing growth and development.
Download the presentation slides to guide a group discussion to better understand how growth and development impacts your team. Then, collaborate on an action plan to promote and protect this in your workplace.
You can share the handout digitally or download and print them.
Each of the psychosocial factors identified in Guarding Minds at Work and the National Standard on Psychological Health and Safety in the Workplace have similar resources that can be found here.