Getting help at work
There are people at your workplace you may be able to go to for help. Here are some suggestions you may use to help these people help you.
Talking to your manager
- These are the things that are a problem for me right now and here are some ideas for what might make it easier for me to do my job. Can you look at them and let me know what is possible?
- Can we book some time to talk about my work performance? I'd like your input on how I can better manage my time, prioritize tasks, etc.
- Can you please let me know if you notice any changes in my performance so that we can talk about it?
Talking to your union representative
- I am having a really hard time with some issues at work. What does the collective agreement say about this?
- I don't think that I am being treated fairly by my co-workers and manager. What are my rights as a union member and who should I talk to?
- What other ideas do you have about how I might resolve this or make it easier?
- How can I deal with the reaction of other workers?
Talking to an occupational health physician or nurse
- This is how I am feeling at work right now. Do you think it is health related? Do I need to make changes at work?
- What do you recommend that I do? What help is available?
- My family doctor has me on this treatment. Could you look into this and let me know of any other approaches you think could be helpful?
Talking to a human resources representative
- What does my extended health benefit plan cover?
- What is involved in applying for short or long term benefits?
- What other benefits does my employer offer?
- I am struggling to do my job well. What is available to me in terms of training or resources?
- What do our company policies say about accommodation or discipline?
Talking to a counselor through your Employee Assistance Plan (EAP)
- How can I deal with problems with my co-workers or manager?
- What can I do about my financial troubles?
- What can I do about my family issues?
- How can I cope with my stressors at work or at home?
- Where can I get help for my addiction?
- How can I get help to deal with my fear, anger, frustration, lack of energy, etc?